One of the most important decisions to make when buying a fishing kayak is this:
Should You Buy A Sit-On-Top or a Sit-in Fishing Kayak?
There are those who extol the virtues of each design, and both are perfectly capable of standing up to the rigors required of them, however this article is focused on the best sit-in fishing kayaks, which is the type selected by many fishing kayakers.
If you are simply looking for the best sit inside fishing kayak for a very affordable price then you will definitely want to check out this Lifetime Payette Fishing Kayak. You will love the quality and love the price even more!
Although you see many sit in fishing kayak anglers, you may eventually want to upgrade to a sit on top kayak as they tend to be more stable. This extra stability will allow you to stand up, a huge advantage in visibility for kayak fisherman. If interested you should check out our review of the most stable fishing kayaks.
Sit-in fishing kayaks and sit-on-top kayaks share a number of identical features, however there is one feature that marks them as different. Sit-in kayaks enclose the kayaker in a protective space, with the sides of the kayak rising up slightly around them; sit-on-top kayaks are exactly as the name sounds, as the user simply perches on them and has less support.
What Makes A Sit In Fishing Kayak So Great?
Some of the main benefits of choosing a sit-in kayak over a sit-on-top kayak include:
Are Sit In Kayaks Comfortable?
- Sit-in fishing kayaks are far more comfortable than the alternative. This is because you’ll be largely protected from the elements, and won’t constantly be battered by the waves. The result? A warmer and much drier kayaking experience!
Which Is Faster Sit In Kayak or Sit On Top Kayak?
- It is generally accepted that sit-in kayaks are faster than sit-on-top kayaks. This is because having the legs inside the kayak allows the user to brace themselves, leading to much more powerful strokes.
Kayak Trolling Motor Compatible
Sit in fishing kayaks tend to be more trolling motor compatible. Transom mounted trolling motors are significantly easier to mount on a sit in kayak than a sit on top kayak without additional mounting brackets. This is because of the nature of a sit inside kayak, it has walls, so it is easier to mount the trolling motor to that side wall of the kayak. This is especially crucial if you don’t have fishing rod holders in your kayak.
If you do have fishing rod holders behind your seat then you may want to take a look at this mounting bracket which works great for both types of fishing kayaks as long as rod holders are available.
- Marine grade alloy and nylon
- Universal-suits most Kayaks with...
- Quick & easy installation
- Sit-on-top kayaks are generally wider than sit-in kayaks. This means that the thinner sit-in kayak will generally have much better maneuverability than the alternative. But what you gain in maneuverability you lose in stability.
Sit In Kayaks Are Usually Lighter In Weight
- Most sit-in kayaks weigh far less than sit-on-top kayaks. This is important for a number of reasons, but perhaps the most important reason is this: it simply makes them easier to transport! You don’t want to be tired before you even get to the water, do you?
- When it come down to it, well, its personal preference but it is typically easier to stand in a sit on top fishing kayak since they have a wider base. Many people find that they feel much safer inside a sit-in kayak though because of the enclosed space, they feel less likely to fall into the water. Once again this is entirely down to personal preference though.
There are a number of fantastic sit-in fishing kayaks on the market, designed to appeal to kayakers of all levels and budgets. Below you’ll find five that come recommended, thanks to a number of different reasons…
Best Sit In Fishing Kayaks
Lifetime Payette Sit-Inside Angler Kayak
This is a great sit-in fishing kayak, and is favored by many keen kayak fishermen. It might not look like much but its VERY affordable when it comes to fishing kayaks. It comes complete with two flush mount rod holders, as well as a swivel rod holder, plus it also has an exceedingly comfortable seat – which is perfect for long, lazy days out on the water!
It also comes in the choice of two colors – gray or gray, beautiful! Jokes aside its function is top notch for such a low price. If you are looking for a great entry level sit in fishing kayak then the Lifetime Payette Sit-Inside Angler Kayak is perfect!
The Lifetime Payette has a number of technical features that also make it a great choice. The deep hull tracking channels and stability chine rails help with stability and keeping your sit in kayak going in the proper direction. The high-density Polyethylene (HDPE) construction hull ensures that it remains strong at all times, and can stand up to any challenges thrown at it, while the large cockpit has adjustable foot braces, to ensure you get the best possible paddling position.
This kayak has a weight of 44 pounds, which should be manageable for most kayak fisherman.
Pelican Maxim 100X Sit-in Kayak
- Upgraded Features: Additional...
- Stable: The shallow V-chine hull...
- Safe: Added floating blocks on each...
This is one of those great all around sit in kayaks, it’s not as cheap as some of the other models found out there but it’s very high quality that you can trust to last for many years. With this higher price tag it provides the ultimate in performance, comfort and usability.
What’s more, it’s also the perfect kayak for those going on longer expeditions, as it has more than enough room to store camping equipment, as well as all of your fishing gear too. Long days in the kayak will be made more comfortable by the comfortable seating.
What’s more, its design will allow you to move seamlessly and quietly through the water. All in all, this is a great kayak for avid kayak fishermen.
Pelican Performance Sit-in Kayak
- Performance: The deep V-chine hull...
- Comfortable: The adjustable...
- Safe: This performance kayak comes...
The Pelican Performance Sit-in Kayak is another great kayak from Pelican, who are known for creating kayaks that both perform well and don’t damage the wallet too much. Its bright blue camouflage design immediately draws the eyes to it, but the real beauty is in the way this kayak handles, as it tracks and paddles absolutely fantastically. It also comes with adjustable foot braces and can safely handle weight up to 300 pounds which makes this kayak suitable for most kayak fisherman.
Like the previous kayak, you should have no problems storing all your gear for the day in this Pelican as it too comes with a large storage compartment.
Emotion Guster Sit-Inside Kayak
- Adjustable Padded Seat Back and...
- ST Performance Hull for Tracking...
- Front and Rear Shock Cord Straps to...
Emotion are known for being experts when it comes to creating kayaks, and the Emotion Guster Sit-Inside Kayak is one of their best creations to date.
The cockpit is not incredibly spacious but the enclosed space blocks the sun well contributing massively to the comfort of this kayak. There’s even a cup holder between your legs, so you don’t spill your drink when you’re wrestling with a big fish!
The material used to create this kayak is only of the highest quality, meaning that it’s not only incredibly strong, but also tracks and paddles perfectly.
Lifetime Cruze 100 Sit-in Kayak
- Adjustable Quick Release Seat Back...
- Deep Hull Channels for Tracking...
- Multiple Footrest Positions for...
The final sit-in kayak on the list is the Lifetime Cruze 100 Sit-in Kayak, which doesn’t look too special but certainly punches well above its weight.
This really is a great sit-in fishing kayak for those who don’t want to spend really big money.
With a padded seat, cargo hold, and a large cockpit, it offers everything a kayak fisherman could need. What’s more, it also has multiple foot rest positions, therefore enhancing your comfort and performance.
Many people like this kayak because it is incredibly lightweight, therefore making for easy transportation and use.
The fact that it’s lightweight doesn’t mean that it isn’t durable though, as this kayak is made with quality materials that it won’t crack or fade as quickly as other brands. If you value performance over looks, this kayak could well be the perfect choice!
Well you’ve made it to the end of our writeup. Hopefully this post helped you on your quest to find the best sit in fishing kayak.
Still unsure what to buy? We know you’ll be happy with this Sit-Inside Fishing Kayak.
Our Pick For The Best Sit In Fishing Kayak
- Lifetime Payette Sit-Inside Angler Kayak
In conclusion our pick for the best Sit-Inside Fishing Kayak that covers all the bases yet is still within an affordable price range goes to the Lifetime Payette Sit-Inside Angler Kayak.